innogy Innovation Hub to partner with Telefónica to lead world class accelerator programme
A partnership between two powerhouses is set to boost business expansion in the UK.
LONDON — 5 November 2018 — Telefónica’s innovation arm Wayra UK and innogy Innovation Hub, an affiliate of German energy company innogy SE that invests in and mentors technology start-ups, will grow innovative businesses in the UK in a new London-based programme.
“Scale-Up Hub” will focus on growing small and medium sized businesses in areas such as future energy, urban solutions, customer experience and connected technologies. It represents a significant international investment in the UK’s rich ecosystem of technology and digital innovation which will create jobs and growth through the development of new market leaders in emerging technologies.
The businesses initially joining the Scale-up programme are developing products that include alternative personal transport in cities, a digital solution providing rapid legal advice for businesses, solutions that make existing dumb buildings smart and software that understands human behaviour across cities.
Wayra UK’s ‘best in class’ accelerator programme currently supports around 70 companies a year in six other locations, providing advice and mentorship to take ideas through to investment. Over the last seven years Wayra UK has invested and supported 180 companies and has helped to raise over $237 million in third party funding for companies currently valued at $835 million.
innogy Innovation Hub provides funding, mentoring and a co-creation platform for the technologies and businesses that have the potential to redefine the energy market of the future. With teams in London, Silicon Valley, Berlin and Tel Aviv, it has supported over 80 companies and created a portfolio valued at €150 million.
Annemie Ress, Managing Director for innogy Innovation Hub in the UK, said: “At the innogy Innovation Hub we look to support businesses and technologies from across the world with the potential to shape the energy market of the future. The UK is obviously a key market for our portfolio of start-ups and we are excited to partner with Wayra to give them the mentoring and networking opportunities that will help them reach their full commercial potential in the UK and beyond.”
Director of Telefónica Open Future and Wayra UK Gary Stewart said: “At Wayra, we scale start-ups. Partnering with innogy Innovation Hub is, therefore, a great fit for us, because this programme is focused on helping more mature start-ups to scale via Telefónica and innogy. I can’t wait to begin.”
The Businesses joining the programme include:
- Beerides: BeeRides has setup an efficient and user-friendly car sharing platform and earns most of its revenue by charging a commission on the rental transactions on its platform.
- Calipsa: Calipsa offers a cloud based platform based on Deep Learning technology that offers a 50% reduction in false alarms for Monitoring Stations.
- Citygo: Getting home quickly is no longer a luxury.
- DoDo: DoDo offers a same day logistics service which simplifies the life of both customers and companies by providing a marketplace for new business opportunities.
- Enerbrain: Enerbrain makes dumb buildings smart. Improve the financial productivity and comfort of your buildings without modifying any of your existing systems.
- EVezy: All-inclusive EV subscriptions on a rolling monthly contract.
- Humanising Autonomy: Humanising Autonomy improves safety and efficiency of autonomous mobility systems through better understanding of human behaviour across cities.
- ai: By-the-minute insurance for rideshare drivers.
- Indoorway: Indoorway brings transparency and operational savings to buildings owners through precise movement analytics and powerful API.
- Libryo: Libryo is a web-based, context specific tool that enables users at any organisation to know the applicable legal obligations they face in any situation.
- Omniflow: Smart energy platform powered by wind and solar with integrated energy storage for IoT applications.
- Placense: Placense‘s data analytics solution, ‘vectorsense’, provides real-time metrics.
- eco: Shine creates the future of people powering people. Shine’s innovative software enables customers to actively take part in the undeniable journey towards de-centralised energy production and consumption.
- Share&Charge: Share&Charge is a decentralised protocol for electric vehicle charging, transactions, and data sharing – enabling companies to offer a seamless, smart and secure charging experience
For any further information please contact:
Kym Andrew, Chief Marketing Officer, Telefónica Open Future & Wayra UK
Kym.email@example.com +44 7940 322320
About innogy Innovation Hub
innogy Innovation Hub believes that new technologies, business models and consumption patterns will redefine the energy market of the future. We believe this future will be driven by four core global trends; decarbonisation, decentralisation, digitisation and democratisation. innogy Innovation Hub’s mission is to drive this vision for the future of energy by being a sector disruptor: by identifying the game-changing technologies, ideas, individuals and businesses that will help build that future, wherever they are, providing funding, mentoring and a platform for co-creation, collaboration and convergence.
The innogy Innovation Hub has created a €150m portfolio through investing in disruptive individuals, start-ups and early stage businesses and provided opportunities for 80+ start-up and scale-up companies to collaborate. It has innovation teams in Silicon Valley, Tel Aviv, London and Berlin.
The innogy Innovation Hub is funded by innogy SE, a leading German energy company, with revenues of around €43 billion (2017), more than 42,000 employees and activities in 16 countries. For more information visit: https://innovationhub.innogy.com